After having used the OnSite beta for a few minutes, I can think of a few features I'd love to see.
--Warning: Long post incoming--
Recently I've been involved in a search and recovery operation at a mine/gravel pit, and a pipeline inspection. Based on those two jobs, and previous experience, I've outlined my requests below. I'll go ahead and apologize in advance for overlooking something already there.
1 - option to share the project with others without an account--similar to sharing a youtube video by link only.
2 - Marker options. Add additional marker shapes/symbols. Using some common GIS-type symbols with a color option would be great.
3 - Make the "Drawing Shape" tool persistent. Draw multiple shapes and edit them similar to layers in Photoshop. (example: tracing the outline of multieple bodies of water)
4 - Add lines. Similar to the drawing shape tool. (example: tracing a pipeline path)
5 - This one may be impossible, but the ability to overlay an image, or images, on an existing map would be awesome.
6 - Reports. A flightlog similar to DJI's Go app would be great. Also the option to print an easily readable but detailed report would be nice as well.
7 - Geotag EVERYTHING. Make it accessible and readable in the report/map/app. DJI's Go app is next to useless if you need any type of geo positioning information.
8 - The ability to measure length and distance, as well as calculate surface area would be nice.
9 - Give us the option to do whatever we need to in the app, without an active internet connection. My two most recent jobs were both in areas with very bad cell service.
Ideally, this would be my workflow:
--note: most of my work involves manually controlled flights--
- Fly the requested area/areas. Take an overhead image (or image mosaic) of the entire area, if the most current map is out of date. <-- Have the option to do this automatically.
- Take pics or video of points of interest.
- Mark any points of interest on the map, together with, or independently from taking a picture.
- Quickly and easily label each Marker if needed (key word: quickly - limited flight time). Have every pic, video, and marker geotagged.
- After landing the aircraft, use the app to fill in more detailed information on the points of interest, markers, and use them to take any preliminary measurements that are needed.
- Having something to show an accident investigator, or pipeline crew supervisor on site is essential.
Thanks for the opportunity to voice my thoughts on this. I'd love to be able to discuss this more in-depth with a person.